Monday, April 19, 2010

Grandson's input

So I had my daughter and her family in this weekend for our annual Ruffed Grouse Society banquet that my husband co-chaired and my grandson and I had some time to go and look at our students's work. I had shown him their work when he was visiting us before and he asked if he could look at their work again. He is 7, reads very well and loves computer games so I feel that his opinion is valuable. We looked at our students' progress that was posted; he especially liked Team SEE's house with the clickable items. I know that our students are doing a great deal more then is shown, they just aren't posting as frequently as I would like. My grandson and I looked at the games on "Playing to Learn" link. I will have to say that he was shocked when he clicked on the first couple of links because they were 'shooter' games and he is not allowed to play games where the player shoots at PEOPLE. I tried to explain to him why they were on there and what they were about but we went on to others games. We especially liked the one about the Preamble; he read all of the questions, we tried to logically come up with the answeres for the ones we weren't sure of and I was very impressed with his reading skills, his knowledge of the different states and critical thinking skills (ok, I do have to brag a little bit, after all, I am a grandmother!) As for the game, it was great! It had wonderful graphics, sounds and good questions and transitions. Check it out:
http://http://www.texaslre.org/PiratePreamble/pirates_game.html

No comments: