Saturday, January 16, 2010

Be a Hooker

Ah, got your attention with that one didn’t I? And that is what we have to do, to find the hook that will make students want to learn because the learning has become the most important thing to them. We snag them with the hook of ‘you get to create video games' but it turns into the students buying into the system of the process of gathering information,assimilating the information and then turning that information into a relevant, viable learning situation via a video game format. It goes back to my last post I think, we have to create the environment where their first priority (at the very least while they are in the classroom) is to work on building the best, most informative game ever designed.
I think that I sometimes I go about it the wrong way, telling the students that there are deadlines that they have to meet. I believe that I will begin appealing to their pride a little more, showing them examples of what has been done and appealing to their competitive spirit. I hope that it will begin as extrinsic motivation that morphs into a more intrinsic style of learning. I do know that different students have different motivators and that we need to find the ‘hook’ for each one.

3 comments:

ALeef said...

I am with you sister! Does that make me a "hooker", too? LOL As we have already started planning, I agree that we need to re-direct our approach and appeal to the students' competitive nature and sense of pride in their work. In doing this, I think we can incorporate more levels of "fun" that might appeal to them without them knowing we are really teaching them something....hmmmm

Mr. Dorsey said...

I really enjoyed your post. A lot of our kids haven't found their "thing" to take pride in yet and this work, with its creativity would be a great starting point in taking pride in their work and progress.

Mr. Allder said...

You definitely got my attention! Jeremy and I had this jaw dropping moment as we looked at your title. But as I read your post I thought "she's exactly right!" Using the "hook" of game design to bring them into this rich learning and creative environment is what makes the Globaloria program work. Especially for some kids that wouldn't necessarily have something else to take pride in when it comes to their school environment.